The system of Ashtanga Yoga has been passed down in a traditional manner from teacher (guru) to pupil over many years, with the recent lineage being traced through Rama Mohan Brahmachari, Sri T. Krishnamacharya, Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, and Sharath Jois.
The practice follows a set sequential order of asanas which when followed assiduously along with the harmonisation of breath and movement, engagement of internal energy locks, and correct gazing points; allows the practitioner to cultivate a deeper inner consciousness. The benefits of a regular practice instils balance, internal strength, flexibility and focus as well as a deeper awareness of of one’s self.
For more information on Ashtanga Yoga, please go to www.sharathjois.com
- Students can arrive at the shala between 6:45 and 8:15
- For everyone’s benefit please shower or bathe before coming to class and wear clean clothes
- Avoid eating a large meal for at least 3 hours before class
- Please wash your mats and cotton carpets on a regular basis.
- Please stop at the point in your practice that your teacher indicates
- Please inform the teacher of any injuries, pregnancy, etc…
- Please keep any warm-ups/stretches to an absolute minimum
- We try to keep the shala as a ‘sacred’ space, therefore please be mindful of how you are dressed (within reason of course), your speech, and your intention when you are present with us